Tennis Camden is part of the Camden District Tennis Association (inc). We are part of the South East Region of Tennis Country. The association is responsible for the effective administration and organisation of all aspects of tennis within its boundaries and its affiliation with Tennis NSW. We aim to represent the interests of all tennis players in the area and provide opportunities for players at all levels to participate and develop to their best ability. We work together with Camden Council and other interested bodies to develop high quality facilities to assist in the overall enjoyment of the sport for all family members.
The Camden 8-court synthetic grass complex is located centrally in Camden at Onslow Park, adjacent to Camden Showground and the Camden Sports Club. A clubhouse with enclosed verandah, kitchen facilities and toilets/showers are available for members to use.
We welcome new, past, young or young-at-heart players who wish to join us at Tennis Camden to engage in the great game of tennis. Juniors, Adults (social and competitive) and Veterans are all catered for. A friendly atmosphere is promoted by the Tennis Camden committee to encourage a life-long love and participation in tennis.
Camden District Tennis Association (inc) was formed on the 7th April 1927 when the Private Clubs of Camden formed themselves into an association for the advancement and promotion of tennis. This comprised all clubs within a boundary embracing Menangle, Cawdor, Mt Hunter, Theresa Park and Narellan. During the 1928-29 season there were 228 registered players. By 1950 Campbelltown and Picton were included in competitions.
On the 13th July 1950 the Camden District Tennis Association expressed its need to Camden Council to have town courts and build a 6 court complex. Courts 1 & 2 were constructed in 1952. In 1954 the clubhouse that was originally located at the Camden Bowling Club was relocated to become the Tennis Camden clubhouse which was purchased by Camden District Tennis Association for a grand sum of 50 pounds!. Lights were also installed on the 2 courts during this year.
On the 18/3/59 the colours of the club were adopted as green and gold. Four more courts were constructed to complete the complex.
The tennis complex suffered over the next decade with major floods in 1963 and 1964 and then again in 1974.The clay courts were laid with silt and the clubhouse was covered with water.
In 1977 rather than walking to the Camden Showground amenities block, toilet and showers were attached to the clubhouse.
In 1998, after the clubhouse stood for 44 yrs, it was agreed to strip the interior, replace the roof tiles with aluminium and the verandah extended for the benefit of members.